xp-xp networking trouble

gingepaul 19:08 18 Jul 03

i am trying to connect 2 xp desktop pc's and am having trouble, the host computers network card is lighting up green and orange, but mine is fine and we cant see each other, does this mean we have the wrong cable [cant remember if its straight or crossover, i asked the guy at the shop for a cable to directly connect 2 pc's running xp, and he gave me the cable]
i have checked the plugs on the end of the cable and the wires inside are placed differently on each end, so is this right or not?
cheers for the help if i get it. lol.

spikeychris 19:12 18 Jul 03

You need a crossover cable.

spikeychris 19:20 18 Jul 03

Sorry. The cable ends on a crossover cable are different from each other, whereas a normal 'straight through' cable has identical ends.

Chris

Rayuk 19:21 18 Jul 03

If wires arent positioned the same both ends looks as if you have the crossover cable which is what you want.
When you set up the network did you disable the firewall first if not this could be the problem.
Disable it then run setup again,once up and running re-enable it.

gingepaul 19:36 18 Jul 03

thaks guys will try it.

gingepaul 19:37 18 Jul 03

i mean thanks guys will try it, oops

recap 20:11 18 Jul 03

click here for details on what a crossover cable looks like.

Further to Rayuk suggestion, if disableling the firewall doesn't do it create a shared folder on both systems, then re-enable the firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…