Is XP worth the cost of the upgrade from Win 98 se

matlock man 20:05 10 Oct 05

Im not sure whether to part with £80 odd quid to upgrade to XP home. My PC is quite unstable and crashes nearly everyday, often when booting and shutting down. Any comments appreciated.

007al 20:13 10 Oct 05

you can get xp home for around £60.buy it,you wont regret it,trust me(no,im not a doctor)lol

VoG II 20:16 10 Oct 05

Check compatibility first click here

You may find click here helpful.

Strawballs 20:19 10 Oct 05

I think in the 18 months that I have been using XP I have had a full crash with the blue screen twice and the whole experience is so much better, and well worth it.

Forum Editor 20:47 10 Oct 05

and check system and software compatibility first. Make sure there are WinXP drivers for all your hardware components.

Then rush out and buy the upgrade - you won't regret it.

matlock man 20:54 10 Oct 05

Thanks for your advice guys. I think I will give it a go!

mbp 21:48 10 Oct 05

Win 98 se never gave me any serious problems and I never had many crashes or blue screen. You could try using a good cleaner for you HDD and then a 3rd party Registry Cleaner. It should stabalize you Win 98se.

That said, Win XP is so much more stable and more effective in many ways. If you can afford it go for the retail version for its obvious benefits.

CurlyWhirly 16:34 11 Oct 05

Go for it I say.
Excellent operating system that is extremely stable and reliable IMHO.

ade.h 17:07 11 Oct 05

Well, it's pretty reliable....

Still the best Micro$oft OS, though.

mbp 17:49 11 Oct 05

some OEM's are pretty cheap (relatively), so long as you know the limitations of an OEM vs a retail version. Search the forums for discussions.

wee eddie 20:48 11 Oct 05

There is a serious likelihood that a lot of your peripherals will not work with XP.

So!

The cost is not £80 but several hundred quid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…