XP won't validate - what to do?

Ian in Northampton 19:35 30 Nov 14

Following Batch's suggestion in another thread, I decided to give Macrium Reflect a whirl. However, I fell at the first hurdle...

I've always had problems validating my installation of XP - I have no idea why, as I believe it to be genuine. however, I may have been misled. The upshot/outcome of this is that I've never upgraded past SP2.

That's never worried me too much. I understand the security risks, and take other relevant precautions, and so far I've been lucky.

However, over the past year or so, Skype no longer works because it needs SP3 in the latest release; Chrome will no longer access certain web sites because of perceived security issues - again, I believe this to be an SP3 (or lack thereof) problem. And now, I find that Macrium Reflect needs SP3...

I'm either going to have to upgrade to W7, which I really don't want to do, or upgrade my XP installation to SP3. Then, though, I know i'll be in a world of hurt with Windows Genuine Advantage.

Now, I've read in various places that there are ways of circumventing WGA. I'm not sure how legal they are, or safe come to that.

So, finally, to my question: does anyone have any insight into/experience of defeating WGA in a legitimate XP SP3 installation?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:05 30 Nov 14

Upgrading to sp3 should have no effect on WGA

however before you start make a copy of the activation files

Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder. (You may have to click on the link that says "Show The contents of this folder.")

Find the files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" and copy them to a safe location. You can copy them on a floppy drive or burn it onto a CD or DVD.

After you have updated Find the file "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" (if it exists) and rename them to "wpadbl.new" and "wpabak.new."

Copy your original "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" files from your floppy disk, CD or DVD into the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

Restart your system. (If you followed the directions in Starting Windows XP in SafeMode, you may need to go back into MSCONFIG to turn off booting into SafeMode).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:07 30 Nov 14

or if it won't let you update because it says windows is not genuine

How to bypass the validation to download updates for xp computers when the product key is invalid.

1) Open Internet Explorer

2) Go to Tools menu > Internet Options...

3) Click on Programs tab.

4) Click the Manage Add-ons.... button

5) Scroll down to the "Windows Genuine Advantage" add-on (they should be in alphabetical order).

6) After you click on it, there is a settings box below all the add-ons. In there are Enable/Disable radio buttions. Just click Disable, then OK, then Apply, and you are set

rdave13 20:08 30 Nov 14

Is it legitimate though? Time to let go of XP possibly?

Got burnt that way myself. Bought a genuine XP licence, gave it away but would not validate on another PC. Google search used to bring up Bellarc Advisor pages on forums, at that time, and clearly showed the XP key for the PC involved .

Security wise I would suggest binning XP and go for another OS.

Ian in Northampton 20:20 30 Nov 14

Thanks guys. Fruit Bat /\0/\: my understanding was that WGA was, in effect, part of SP3. If you upgraded to SP3, you got it by default (or if you downloaded one of the updates that ended up being consolidated into XP3). Am I wrong? I omitted to mention, I did once install SP3, and started to get WGA problems. So I downgraded back to SP2 - and no WGA problems since.

rdave13: of course, there's absolutely no way of really knowing if it's legitimate. I bought it from what I believed to be a legitimate source, but... I guess, like you, I could Google the key and see what shows up. But I use W7 on my main machine, and just wanted to keep XP on my other 'personal' machine which isn't so critical as my work machine.

And: the cussed side of me wants to make XP work properly on it...

Ian in Northampton 20:21 30 Nov 14

Oh, and, Fruit Bat /\0/\: I have SP3 saved on my PC as a 300MB+ .exe file, so there shouldn't be anything preventing me actually installing it.

bumpkin 20:32 30 Nov 14

Are you using the online validation or the automated phone option. I only mention this as I have had XP and Win7 both rejected online but accepted by the phone.

Ian in Northampton 20:44 30 Nov 14

bumpkin: interesting - thanks. I guess I've always shied away from the phone option in case it turns out that my XP installation is indeed counterfeit. Call me an ostrich... :-)

bumpkin 20:50 30 Nov 14

Give it a try, it worked for me. You just have to enter a string of numbers, no need to speak to anyone it's very easy and can only reject it at worst. You won't have the police knocking on your door:-))

lotvic 21:36 30 Nov 14

bumpkin, Are you confusing Validation with Activation?

bumpkin 22:00 30 Nov 14

lotvic, I possibly am but previous replies are referring to both and I am not really sure what is meant.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…