XP won't start up!!! - Please help!!!

Viv-208691 17:29 22 Jun 04

I have a win xp pc that simply wont start up. If I turn it on I get a black screen giving my 5 options, none of which cause XP to start up if selected.

I can choose to do the following:

Start Windows in safe mode
Start Windows in safe mode with networking
Start Windows in safe mode with command prompt
Start Windowes with last known good configuration
Start Windows normally.

However every one of the options simply causes my PC to reset and returns me to the same screen

Any ideas?

Thankyou, help would be greatly appreciated.

spikeychris 17:49 22 Jun 04

Do you have an XP installation disk? if so boot from it and select repair, if the machine asks for an admin password give it. At the command prompt type this...

chkdsk C: /r

Viv-208691 17:59 22 Jun 04

i do have the xp cd but can i boot it if i cant even get into win xp??

Thanks for your help

spikeychris 18:16 22 Jun 04

Is your machine set to boot from CD?

Viv-208691 18:26 22 Jun 04

no, exucuse my ignorance but could you please tell me how to do that (baring in mind i cant acces xp)

Thankyou

spikeychris 18:47 22 Jun 04

First thing to do is access the BIOS. Its a case of looking at the screen when the machine is booting up and making a note of anything that says "Hit del or F1 or enter or esc or whatever to enter setup" If it doesn't say anything press the Del key and the ESC and F1 at the same time whilst the machine is booting (at the beginning when you switch on)

Once in the BIOS you need to look for "boot order or sequence ETC: It might be under advanced options.

You will not have a mouse so you will have to use the up and down keys. Use the keys until you highlight CD and either press enter (it depends on your system) or use the + key whist holding the shift key to send CD to the top of the list.

Save and exit.

Restart and follow my above advice, you will be asked to "hit and key to boot from Cd-ROM"...hit any key.

TTP 19:25 22 Jun 04

;<(

Viv-208691 15:43 23 Jun 04

ok spikey, i did as you said but then got to the stage where i was asked for an admin password and didnt know what it is!! how can i find it out?? What is the default password?

Someone please help

Kind regards

livewire 15:45 23 Jun 04

click here

looks like we have related issues

Viv-208691 15:55 23 Jun 04

hmm indeed it does! i presume you havent been able to sort it out? also, did you ever manage to get past the admin password stage?

Many thanks

Viv-208691 16:50 23 Jun 04

it appears that at some point i changed the default password, although for the life of me i cant remember what to. is the only option to reinstall windows? wil i lose all my files etc on hard drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…