XP wont start

wobbler 20:44 07 Jan 03
  wobbler 20:44 07 Jan 03

Running XP home, or rather I was!!My PC just wont boot, either from the HDD or the CD, though it will from a floppy into dOS. I suspect that the boot sector on the HDD is corrupted. Can I fix this without losing data?

Chris777 20:45 07 Jan 03

Depends... what error message are you getting and is it making any weird clanking noises while trying to boot?

wobbler 20:50 07 Jan 03

no noises, just normal hum, error message says "cant read disk, press CNTRL ALT DEL to Continue"

Ronnie-323427 20:52 07 Jan 03

If your in DOS, try checking your drive from there.
type "C:" return, "dir" return, and see what comes up.
without the quotes

wobbler 21:39 07 Jan 03

On the C drive are 4 files
SWCONF.BAT
FILE0001.CHK
PASS.RPT
FILE0002.CHK

The eroor message when I switch on says "unable to read drive". If I boot to the XP Cd it says "starting setup please wait2, then the screen goes blank and nothing happens.Hope this helps someone to help me.

VoG™ 23:24 07 Jan 03

^REFRESH^

wobbler 00:48 08 Jan 03

Having downloaded and created some xp boot floppies, i have now a littl elife into the system. Trouble is, XP reports that the C drive is either not partitioned or has a damaged partition and wants to redefine it, losing all data. Since I believe most of the data is in 2 files that scandisk created can i recover or save it for future use?

wawadave 02:12 08 Jan 03

hello
by some chance you or a frend have partion magic resque floppys?
might or might not beable to fix partion with it. seem to rember reading some thing about this. any one else know more?

wobbler 09:09 08 Jan 03

Tried partition magic, it reports that the partition is faulty but doesn't repair it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…