XP wont start up

nhojnhoj35 19:25 15 Sep 05

Hi, can someone help me please.
I was having some trouble after doing the latest windows updates. I couldnt connect to the internet. a box popped up with some error message that said microsoft could not connect due to some error or other(dont know what, i didnt jot it down!) but it gave the option to undo the error which i selected. it worked ok last night but today i tried to switch on and it wasnt working so i tried a system restore but after 1 hour all i had was a blank screen so i switched off the power. now when i try to start up my pc i just get a blank screen.

if i select safe mode or safe mode with command prompt i get 6 lines of text then nothing, these are...
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/windows/system32/ ntoskrnl.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/windows/system32/ hal.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/windows/system32/ KDCOM.DLL
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/windows/system32/ msvcrt.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/windows/system32/ KERNEL32.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/windows/system32/ ntdll.dll

if i try to start in last known good configuration it just hangs again.

its an e-machine running xp and has regularly been virus checked. i also use adaware, spybot & spywareblaster. i have also tried to start up with everything disconnected and have checked inside for any loose connections but no joy!!
any help would be gratefully received. thanks in advance

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:29 15 Sep 05

"if i select safe mode or safe mode with command prompt i get 6 lines of text"

This is normal in safe mode athough you should get a lot more lines its hanging on the next set which is probably system32/config/system.

You need to boot from the XP CD and carry out a repair.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

nhojnhoj35 20:54 15 Sep 05

thanks for that. ive been doing a bit of searching through previous posts.

can you confirm for me,

the computer was bought from pc world with a system restore disk. this wont do repairs?

my dad has an xp original disk. can i use this or will the license numbers not match?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:56 15 Sep 05

Use the XP original disc but there should be a sticker on your PC with the product number on, use your own Product No.

nhojnhoj35 21:11 15 Sep 05

thanks. will try it tomorrow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…