xp won't read CDs created in win98se

The Old Git 00:32 10 May 05

I have 5 CD-R's created on my old pc which ran Win98se. Each cd according to its label contains at least one *.qic file created by the Backup utility in Win98se plus some other archive files. I had DirectCd installed on the old pc.

I had put these cd's away carefully and carefully forgotten where. Naturaly I was pleased when my wife found them the other day. Trouble is, on my new pc, windows xp home reads two of them but tells me the other three are blank. Device Manager shows the combi disk device and the cd/dvd rw device fitted are both operating correctly.

I can't find anything very helpful on the ms knowledge base. It suggests that the DirectCd may have had something to do with it. Says also service pack 2 corrects this. My xp installation disk says it has this service pack already on it. I have found a prog that does what the old backup on w98se did and it recovered the data from the cd's it could read.

My two hard drives are partitioned. Master has drives C-F and the slave has H and I drives. Drive C has xp on it but has suffered a disaster and it won't boot - hangs before welcome screen comes up. My working xp is on drive H. I don't want to do anything to drive C in case I can manage to get xp on it running again but that's for another day. Drive D is empty and has room for win98. Could I install it on this drive?

Sorry to be longwinded. I tried to include anything that might be relevant.

Has anyone had this problem and solved it? Any other ideas?

TIA

xania 09:02 10 May 05

I suspect that the problem could lie not with the software but with the hardware. Some CDs, especially re-writables, will only read from the drive that wrote them. Indeed, I have found re-writables that will read in another machine (i.e from a desktop to a laptop) suddenley stop reading for no apparent reason. If you still have that old machine and can recover the old CD-drive, try installing that as a slave in your new machine.

If you choose to go the multi-OS route, you cannot use XP multi-OS support unless you install SE first and XP next. To do as you suggest will require you to use something like Partition Magic Pro.

xania 09:04 10 May 05

I suspect that the problem could lie not with the software but with the hardware. Some CDs, especially re-writables, will only read from the drive that wrote them. Indeed, I have found re-writables that will read in another machine (i.e from a desktop to a laptop) suddenley stop reading for no apparent reason. If you still have that old machine and can recover the old CD-drive, try installing that as a slave in your new machine.

If you choose to go the multi-OS route, you cannot use XP multi-OS support unless you install SE first and XP next. To do as you suggest will require you to use something like Partition Magic Pro.

Finally, if you want to restore a good XP version, once again using a PArtition Manager copy C: to D:, then delete C: and copy H: to C: - finally, you will have to make your new C: active.

Diemmess 09:06 10 May 05

One (long winded) way might be to remove the slave HD drive, format the non working C: and then install 98 on that one, just to hope to recover the data from those CDs.

Windows 98 often wont install if there is a more recent version of Windows detectable, also it usually insists on C: for the O/S

woodchip 09:22 10 May 05

Have you loaded DirectCD UDF reader

pj123 13:02 10 May 05

I seem to remember that .qic files were Tape Streamer backup files? Did you ever have a Tape Streamer on your PC? qic = Quarter Inch Cartridge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…