XP wont let me login?

Chegs ®™ 18:27 15 Dec 05

I was listening to a net radio stream when at 3:10pm my connection failed.Thinking it was perhaps caused by my shared connection misbehaving,I disabled my PCI wireless card,but this didn't fix my net connection,so I rebooted the PC and now can only get to the blue login screen (with username and the picture)I only have the one user account(Owner)and clicking this sets XP off to login(loading settings)then XP just returns to the blue screen with the username and pic.

How can I access my XP again?

I tried Recovery Console with "Fixboot" and "Fixmbr" then tried to boot again,with the exact same thing happening.

I then used TrueImage to recover my C:\Windows partition,but the image behaves exactly the same.

To get online,I have had to boot off a live linux CD,so wont get any notifications of received responses to this post.

OS = XP Home+SP-2

Gigabyte GA7VAXP (Ultra) motherboard,onboard Realtek LAN port.

1Gb DDR RAM

Sweex Modem/Router

AMD XP2700 CPU

Maxtor 15Gb HD (partitioned into two 7.5Gb chunks)

Samsung IDE 40Gb HD(partitioned into 4 equal pieces)

2x120Gb Maxtor SATA HD's (partitioned into 4 pieces each)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:36 15 Dec 05

Your profile is corrupt

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

Alf58 19:43 15 Dec 05

I had the same problem Chegs. The repair install appeared to work but as soon as I rebooted I was back to square one. The only answer to the problem in my case was a complete reinstall of Windows. I hope you have a full version disk because some of the OEMs dont do full installs.

Chegs ®™ 20:27 15 Dec 05

I have repeated the reinstall from image,then removed a few unused apps before allowing the PC to reboot.This time it has fixed the problem.Thanks both for the responses.I'm just miffed that there is no way to sort out a corrupted profile without a heap of messing about. :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…