XP wont install

taffyal 17:38 07 Nov 06

Ive been having all sorts of problems, so decided on a reinstall of XP.BUT it wont install!! I got 6 new floppys, in case the ones I had were u/s, but whatever I try, it hangs on checking system, & gives "run-time error R6003-integer divide by 0". I'm told this is due to boot virus detector being enabled, but cant find any mention of this in the BIOS of my K7VM2.(I am advised to disable it)Before trying the reinstall, the PC was constantly dropping IE, with the appcompat message. BUT now, I cant even reinstall. Ive tried a different HD, I tried using another PC to install it, but of course, that went OK, but wont work on my PC. Could it be the MOBO? Help!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:37 07 Nov 06

Put the hard drive back in the PC you installed XP on.

Then boot to safe mode and disable the drivers in this link Drivers to disable BEFORE changing motherboard
click here

Place hard drive in the other pc and let XP find and install new hardware , run the motherboard driver disk for the PC

taffyal 12:14 08 Nov 06

I tried this as best I could- bit too complicated for my tiny mind!!- must have done something wrong, as all I got was Ides drive installation error, change stand alone slave drive to master!. Got rid of this by removing the dvd drive, back to same as before.Formatted HD on easy ide on other PC, tried again with start up floppies, gets to "checking system" & hangs there.Have tried 2 HDs, & 2 sets of start up floppies. I know theyre OK cause work on other PC.Could it be BIOS, or MOBO??
Even if the above method had worked, why wouldnt it install on my mobo?? Cheers, Al.

taffyal 16:05 08 Nov 06

Should I look for a new m/board? Or PC!!!

taffyal 12:22 09 Nov 06

Please?

jimv7 12:26 09 Nov 06

Change the boot order to cd 1st, then boot from the xp cd, follow oncscreen instuctions.

taffyal 12:30 09 Nov 06

Would I need a special bootable cd?

jimv7 12:33 09 Nov 06

No, your xp cd if the full version and not a restore cd will be ok.

Smiler 13:01 09 Nov 06

You could have a look through this lot

click here

especially the archives at the bottom of the page.

taffyal 13:12 09 Nov 06

Tried Cd. Got "press any key to setup from cd", then "setup is inspecting your hardware configuration", went to blue screen, "windows setup" in top left corner, & just stayed there!

taffyal 13:22 09 Nov 06

Thanks Smiler,but Im running a backup PC with just basic XP on a small HD, so have got nothing to open them with as yet. Main PC still sitting gleefully on Windows setup after 1/2 hour!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac