//some 3rd party need geo

XP won't install

letni 00:11 02 Mar 05

I'm updating a friend's pcto xp home (oem). 1st time, formatted the h/drive and everything went smoothly. Took machine back, switched on got the desktop and I realised the cordless usb mouse wasn't plugged in, so plugged it and machine hung.

Re-started the machine, couldn't get into Windows, not safe mode, last known good configuration - nothing. Safe mode would get as far as mup.dll then hang. Did a little searching on the net and found not a lot that was helpful so I decided to re-install xp and that's when the troubles really began! Xp will not install, it gets as far as loading the initial drivers and the screen that says "Setup is starting Windows" and that's it.

I've tried taking out ram, a different video card, putting ram back in differently, re-setting the bios to default & a ps2 mouse. I also tried loading my own XP pro and even copied a friend's xp home pre SP2 version all to no avail.

The pc has an Aopen AK79d-400VN m/board, 512 Crucial DDR 333 ram, Aopen FX 5600 128mb video card, 80mb Excestor (?) h/drive and MSI combi DVD

Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Totally-braindead 00:16 02 Mar 05

I'm wondering if its simply the USB causing the problem because either the motherboard drivers aren't installed or aren't installed properly. Have you tried formatting the hard drive again before reinstalling XP or have you tried booting from the XP disk and repairing windows.

letni 00:48 02 Mar 05

Thanks Totally-braindead for your thoughts - but
I thought initially it may have been usb related but unfortunately not.

I have formatted the drive several times now!! plus tried a different drive. I've also disabled usb in the bios in case xp didn't like it. Strangely Win98 will load and run perfectly.

pc moron 01:03 02 Mar 05

I've no real idea what could be the problem, but have a look at this thread- specifically the last post on page 3.

click here

Jak_1 01:16 02 Mar 05

Unlikely to be a RAM or video card fault. Try Fdisk and then format and install. Also you may need the six boot floppies (you can download these from the microsof site).

If all else fails try re-istalling Win98 and upgrading with the xp cd.

Julemand 04:42 02 Mar 05

This happened to me once. the virus protection was enabled in the bios. I used nearly a full day, and then found this out, disabled it and windows installed. It wasn't because I am a genius it was by pure accident that I found it.

harps1h 08:07 02 Mar 05

try using a usb to ps/2 connector it could be the mouse. once windows has booted install your mobos drivers (these should include usb for your board). then try putting in the mouse through usb

zarobian 09:22 02 Mar 05

If you have istalled Win98 you should be able to upgrade to WinXP easily. Just insert the WinXP cd in the drive and accept the upgrade option. Am I missing somethig here?

letni 12:52 02 Mar 05

everyone who took the trouble to reply, it was pc moron who supplied the answer - forcing XP into accepting a particular configuration. The link is well worth following.

Just to answer some of the other points above, I had actually tried all of the suggestions, and then some more, prior to posting, it seemed to me that XP couldn't figure out the hardware properly which is a little strange as all the components are bog standard and of reasonable quality.

I've managed to complete an installation now, but it is flakey so Iguess it's troubleshooting time.

Once again many thanks to everyone especially pc moron - my house is your house, my table is your table, my wife... well you get the picture

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…