XP wont go past Boot

radi8or 15:20 14 Aug 04

Hi all,
Got a problem on my step daughter's machine, everything ok till after boot screen then a black screen with error message :-

lsass.exe - System Error
An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function

press ok = reboot.

Safe Mode = As above.
Last Known Good = As above

Have googled error and got conflicting reports ie. virus or hard drive full up, also possible different causes depending on what the first letter of the exe. is ie, low case L or upper case i.
really need a miracle on this one, lots of family foto's, eldest G/daughters school work, etc on disk. S/daughter lives on her own(divorce)
so didn,t know about backing up.

System :- Evesham comp - AMD 1600+ - XP Home

Don't really want to reinstall unless absolutely necessary so if any one can help, I,ll love you forever :0))

Thanks in advance

Regards Bob

stalion 15:31 14 Aug 04

this is a virus I think the only thing you can try is a repair useing the recovery console.Regards

Devil Monkey 15:32 14 Aug 04

Can you take the disk out and put it as a slave into another machine? Then you can save any data before doing a format.

Have you tried the repair console if XP? Boot with the CD and follow instructions.

radi8or 15:37 14 Aug 04

stalion,

Thanks for quick response, will I lose everything on disk ? can I try a repair with my retail XP disc.

Regards Bob

woodchip 15:40 14 Aug 04

Try this go int safe mode, then when you get into window go to Start\Run and type MSCONFIG under general tab put a tick in Diagnostic start box. then try restart. come back and say what happens

radi8or 15:47 14 Aug 04

woodchip,

thanks for input but cant get into Windows as soon as safe mode screen comes up the next thing is the error message, press ok = reboot

Regards Bob

stalion 15:50 14 Aug 04

follow Devil Monkey's advice if you have your xp disc.Regards

woodchip 15:51 14 Aug 04

You could start with XP disc if she as one and run the repair tool.

woodchip 15:53 14 Aug 04

The repair will leave all your work OK but all the Windows updates will need downloading and running

radi8or 15:58 14 Aug 04

Ok fella's have got the system disc she got with computer and I have my got my Xp disc, what's best to use

Regards Bob

stalion 16:04 14 Aug 04

you need the recovery console to effect a repair so does her disk include it if not you will have to use yours.Also if this does not work you will have to re-instal.Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…