//some 3rd party need geo

XP won't boot from hard drive

losmara 22:06 15 Oct 05

I've just installed windows XP to my daughter's computer but it won't boot from the hard drive. However, it will boot from the CD.

I have changed the BIOS to boot from 1st - floppy 2nd hard disk 0 and 3rd cd -rom but this doesn't help.

How can I check that the partition containing XP is the active partition? As I have been lead to believe that I can not use the fdisk command as I would have done under earlier versions of windows.

woodchip 22:11 15 Oct 05

Set BIOS to just boot from HD not Floppy or CD

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:22 15 Oct 05

Fdisk is fine if you formatted the disk as FAT32

If formatted as NTFS then Fdisk will not recognise he partion.

The bootcfg command is a Microsoft Windows XP Recovery Console command that manipulates the Boot.ini file. This command has a function that can scan your hard disks for Microsoft Windows NT, Microsoft Windows 2000, and Windows XP installations, and then add them to an existing Boot.ini file or rebuild a new Boot.ini file, if one does not exist. The bootcfg command enables additional Boot.ini file parameters to be added to existing or new entries.

To use the bootcfg command, start the Recovery Console with the Windows XP CD-ROM, and then click Recovery Console. Or, install the Recovery Console locally, and then select the command from the Boot menu.

goomer 22:24 15 Oct 05

it should be set active automatically if you have installed xp correctly. Is the drive being seen by autodetect? (check in bios settings or on post screen). If you want to check you can still use a startup floppy if you used Fat32 file system. If you used NTFS boot from the CD again to check.

losmara 23:49 15 Oct 05

woodchip

setting the bios to just boot from the hd made no difference - still reports an invalid system disk

goomer

yes the hd is being seen by autodetect

fruit bat/\0/
could you give me a bit more info on how to use this command

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:56 15 Oct 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…