XP wont boot up even with disc

Rich84 12:07 19 Dec 04

My dad's computer has suddenly (no new installs or hardware) stopped booting up. It begins fine then just before the windows splash screen would normally appear he gets a completely blank black screen. There seems to be no life whatsoever after this point. We have tried alternative bootups (safe mode,last known good config, from disc) with the same result. There doesn't appear to be any BIOS settings amiss (have reset to optimum values). Any ideas anyone?

Rayuk 12:28 19 Dec 04

You could use this to do a System Restore
Not as difficult as it looks
click here

mattyc_92 12:29 19 Dec 04

Sounds like a "BOIS" virus.... Try getting a new BOIS chip (if the computer has an older motherboard) or get a new motherboard and this will sort the problem out

Rich84 12:53 19 Dec 04

Rayuk, unfortunately, I live in a different part of the country to my dad and can't take him the system restore CD. He obviuosly can't create it himself as he can't boot up.
Matty, how would he get a BIOS virus. He never opens attachments and is running a firewall and updated antivirus. We can get into the BIOS and everything seems to be responding properly.
Are there any other thoughts, because I wont be able to take the recovery disk Rayuk suggests to him until Boxing day?

Technotiger 13:00 19 Dec 04

Hi, just a thought - could it be a dodgy monitor?
Has your dad any chance of trying a different one?

VoG II 13:04 19 Dec 04
  woodchip 13:22 19 Dec 04

And you can get a boot disc from hear click here Download and put a disc in comp then double click on download to start making boot disc's

Technotiger 13:23 19 Dec 04

Well I'll be!! I *was* going to add an endpiece to my above response saying ........."or, ask VoG !!

Rich84 13:58 19 Dec 04

Just got back to find all this advice! Thanks everyone. It sounds like he'll have to wait til I get to see him with a boot disc. The microsoft piece certainly sounds like his problem. Doesn't look like we can do anything before I see him soI'll get back to you after Xmas if this doesn't work. Thanks again everyone.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:45 19 Dec 04

Blank black screen.

Be patient give it time, up to 10 mins,

Yes 10 mins!

This is XP struggling to restore a corrupt file from a back up. Once found then next boot will be as normal.

If not booted to log in screen after that then a XP repair is required as the backup is also corrupted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…