xp won't boot after linux uninstall

cyberjim 03:12 09 Apr 03

I had a dual boot setup, win xp and mandrake linux. After deciding to remove linux I simply deleted the linux partition on my hard disk using partition magic. Then also with pm made the empty partition ntfs and merged it with my xp partition. Pm reported success then threw up an error code before rebooting didn't give me chance to note the code. I've tried using recovery console to write new mbr, and partition boot sector, checked that xp part is set active, used fdisk /mbr user a simple prog called part to write new mbr. all failed, used repair feature in xp setup, failed, checked to c if msdod.sys io.sys, etc are there and they are. re-installed linux (what I'm typing with now) to boot pc, it does but when I select windows in bootloader screen goes black and I just get a cursor. Complete novice where linux is concerned. also does anyone know how to burn a cd in linux as At the very least I may be able to save my data (can see xp partitions in linux and access them) Any advice is appreciated as I'm stumped.

muppetmark 07:39 09 Apr 03

Depending on which burner program you are using, I have used XCD roast (x2 only), you will have to log in as root/superuser/admin to configure permissions for the user to burn with the program but I did find that XCDroast worked.

dth 11:06 09 Apr 03

CD burner software is included as standard in Linux distributions. Have a look at the add software tab - to see which CD software is included.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac