XP won't boot after installing 2k on other drive

Steve N 12:44 05 Jul 03

I have 2 * 80GB HDD one with XP Pro installed, which is the master and the other drive is partitioned into 2 * 37GB chunks. I installed Windows 2000 Advanced Server on the first partition of my other drive and now I can't boot into XP. I get the error message:

Starting Windows
'the loading bar_______________________________'
Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMd startup options for Windows 2000, Press F8

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows 2000
Setup using the original Setup floppy disk or CD-ROM
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair

Anyone got any ideas what the heck has happened, or have I been stupid and installed an older OS alongside XP. I checked the boot.ini file and everything seems ok there. In that it is pointing to the right volume etc.

Help much appreciated as XP Pro was my main operating system with a lot of apps like SQL Server, and the like which I need and take ages to install and update.

Lú-tzé 15:54 05 Jul 03

Try booting with the XP Pro cd and choosing the recovery console when the option arises. That's my only thought and will at least get you back up the list...

Lú-tzé 15:57 05 Jul 03

click here

click here

for more details.

zanwalk 16:06 05 Jul 03

Follow the advice given by Lú-tzé above and use the command Fixmbr in the Recovery Console, as what appears to have happened is that W2K has interfered with the MBR leaving you without any OS.

If this works and you cannot boot into W2K, try disconnecting the XP HD and installing W2K again, afterwards reconnecting the HD and configuring the boot menu from within XP in order to have accezs to both OS.

AndySD 16:07 05 Jul 03

click here but use the recovery console and use the 'fixboot command followed by the 'bootcfg /rebuild' command click here

Steve N 16:49 05 Jul 03

Well. Thanks for the responses. I looked on the MS website and there was something about installing the recovery console etc. I did that and but didn't need to use it as that seemed to enable me to boot into Windows XP??!!

MS Software has some serious issues!!! But we knew that already!!!

Cheers for the help ppl.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…