XP won't boot after adding external hard drive

davwil 12:58 09 Nov 09

After attaching a new Seagate 1.6TB powered external hard drive, my desktop will not now boot completely. It gets part way - not even to POST or beeps - and just hangs. I have to power button off to get out. Thing is when I disconnect the HDD, things are as normal and system boots OK. Seems to be that it is trying to boot off the external HDD, but BIOS options have not changed. I have even set 'other boot options' in the BIOS to OFF, but it makes no difference.
I have other portable HDDs, which don't give any problems when attached and the system is booted, so I really cannot understand what is going on.

I am running XP SP3 Athlon 64 desktop.

Any suggestions/explanations?

tullie 13:07 09 Nov 09

No solutions from me but if its usb,why not plug it in once computers running?

davwil 13:26 09 Nov 09

Not really a problem as such, but my desktop is crammed down the side of a desk in a corner making accessing the rear usb ports a bit of a struggle to keep getting to.
Really is more of why this is doing what it is doing - I cannot understand why and it bugs me (bit of a nerd that way ?))

Graphicool1 14:10 09 Nov 09

If you can, try the HDD on another system. This way at least you'll know if the HDD is at fault or not?

What Mobo have you got?

davwil 15:03 09 Nov 09

Not sure of the Mobo - American Megatrends or VIA?
Have tried it attached to my laptop running Vista and that boots up with no problems and the disk is recognised.
Have also tried attaching the HDD with another usb cable on my desktop, but this is the same. I cannot understand why just adding an external HDD can affect the booting. As mentioned before, I have a couple of portable HDDs, which are fine.

northumbria61 13:32 10 Nov 09

Hi davwil - try this LINK

click here

davwil 18:53 10 Nov 09

thanks for the link.
I can recognise the drive after the PC has booted.
It will not boot with the HDD connected.

I will probably have to live with connecting the drive after booting - unless anyone has any ideas?

many thanks

I am Spartacus 18:55 10 Nov 09

Check the BIOS options. It may be trying to boot from the external drive.

woodchip 19:53 10 Nov 09

Check BIOS USB that all are active

woodchip 19:54 10 Nov 09

In BIOS check USB as Legacy Support Enabled

Procrastinus 20:53 10 Nov 09

Quote: 'Not really a problem as such, but my desktop is crammed down the side of a desk in a corner making accessing the rear usb ports a bit of a struggle to keep getting to.'
Extension lead perhaps may solve this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…