xp won't allow disk format when reinstalling

nagis 16:31 02 Sep 05

I needed to reinstall xp pro. During the installation there was no opportunity to format the disk which was why the reinstall was needed. Eventually I forced the issue be deleting and remaking the partition.
The pc has 2 hard disks - the main one has 2 partitions, one being the C drive. The second disk has one partition and is used only for video editing.
Has anyone any ideas why this happened and how it can be got round? Thanks.

Eric10 19:09 02 Sep 05

I've never seen an XP installation that didn't allow you to format. click here for instruction and check out the screenshots. If all else fails go to your drive manufacturer's website as many of them have a utility to prepare the disk for use.

mattyc_92 19:24 02 Sep 05

When you select which hard-disc to install upon is when you can format.... You need to press "D" on your keyboard and follow the on-screen instructions.

When you finally press "Enter" to select the drive for Windows, you will have the option of: quick FAT32 format, full FAT32 format, quick NTFS format and full NTFS format. Select the "full NTFS format" and press "Enter". It could take up to one hour to format, so I hope there is something on the telly that you want to watch.

You can also use "Active KillDisk" from click here Just select the FREE version as it will do what you need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…