XP - Wireless network connection problem

Nickelback1 09:18 12 Aug 07

Just had to repair XP Pro after a blue screen error. All working except my internal wireless network card & internet connection.
Device manager shows hardware working all OK, but wireless Network Connection is greyed out when I try to find my wireless network ?
Laptop is a Compaq Evo N800V
Any solutions please

Taff™ 09:23 12 Aug 07

In Device Manager right click the internal wireless network card and select Uninstall. Reboot the computer which will force it to reinstall the drivers.

Then in Network Connections check that the wireless network is Enabled.

Nickelback1 09:39 12 Aug 07

Oh No !, I've now got the blue screen fault back having done that.
As soon as I re-booted & it started to re-install the hardware again , up came the Dreaded screen error - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
What now ?

Nickelback1 10:54 12 Aug 07

I've now got it up & running again by disabling the Compaq WLAN Multiport W200.
If I enable this then I get the blue screen again
Any suggestions ?

Nickelback1 13:15 12 Aug 07

So is the network card knackered ?

Taff™ 13:27 12 Aug 07

Sounds like it to me! Can you get into safe mode with networking? If so download a current driver for the mini-card, go into safe mode with networking and try to load the driver. Not sure if this is possible or will work but worth a try.

Nickelback1 14:08 12 Aug 07

Thx Taff,
As soon as I try to load it into safe networking it crashes !
So I realy am stuck, how do I remove the internal network card, perhaps I could try an external one ?

^wave^ 14:27 12 Aug 07

you may well have an irq conflict have a look at them in the device manager

Nickelback1 15:02 12 Aug 07

the device is dis-abled in device manager, so how do I check if there is an IRQL conflict, as that is the blue screen fault I get as soon as I load it ?

Taff™ 08:52 13 Aug 07

Can you get into the BIOS? If so can you then restore the BIOS to default settings. This might get us back to the factory defaults and allow the computer to boot into safe mode.

Nickelback1 21:24 13 Aug 07

Well I left the internal wireless card disabled, installed a PCMCIA card & the laptop works just fine now.
So I've now know its the internal card that's US.
Thx for your help & sticking with it Taff

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple