XP to Windows 7 and then back again to XP problems

compumac 18:07 21 Jul 09

I was looking at the upgrade procedure from XP to Windows 7 and it would appear that it has to be a complete new installation, in that you cannot upgrade over the top of XP. However I note from the PC Advisor that:-
"And if you're upgrading from XP to Windows 7, no matter how you acquired the licence for XP, the activation key on the XP CD will probably not work. (During the upgrade, the PC sends a key-cancellation request to Microsoft's servers to nullify the XP activation/product key and link the machine to the new Windows 7 key.)
What happens if I hate Windows 7? Can I revert to Windows XP?
Yes, you can, but you'll have to do another 'clean' install, this time scrubbing the drive of Windows 7 and replacing it with XP."

My question is, if you do an install of Windows 7 and during the installation it nullifies the XP activation/product key, how can you then reinstall XP in the event that you do not wish to continue with Windows 7

Stuartli 18:30 21 Jul 09
  compumac 19:09 21 Jul 09

Stuartli
Thanks for prompt reply, however these links refer to dual booting and referred to Windows 7 Beta. I could not find any reference within those links that gave indication of a possible problem with the installation of Windows 7 nullifying the activation/product key for XP, despite the PC Advisor article does stating that it does.
Before I considered purchasing Windows 7 I would like clarification of this point.

Stuartli 19:53 21 Jul 09

The full version of Windows7 has still to be released.

The nearest I can find to cover the point is:

click here

You could do a full clone backup of your hard drive with XP installed before starting afresh with Windows7 - at least you would be able to resume with XP again if you change your mind.

lotvic 20:43 21 Jul 09

Where did you get the information from that you quoted? Can you post a link to it please.
As far as I am aware you can't do a successful upgrade install from XP to Windows 7 as W7 does not come with a browser.
You have to do a fresh install.

compumac 21:34 21 Jul 09

Lotvic
Information here click here

Stuartli
I have Acronis images of my system with XP, but on the basis that your XP activation is nullified then even if you reinstalled the XP image you would then be faced with an inability to update, or am I misreading the article?

lotvic 22:36 21 Jul 09

Well I disagree with that article as it contradicts itself.
First it seems to say that your XP activation key is cancelled and can't be used again, then in the next paragraph it says you can reinstall XP

IMHO that article is nonsensical - especially the bit that says
"And if you're upgrading from XP to Windows 7, no matter how you acquired the licence for XP, the activation key on the XP CD will probably not work. (During the upgrade, the PC sends a key-cancellation request to Microsoft's servers to nullify the XP activation/product key and link the machine to the new Windows 7 key.)"

I don't see how that can happen seeing as you have to do a clean install of W7

compumac 22:42 21 Jul 09

Lotvic
Agreed, the article contradicts itself and is the reason why I raised the query in the first place.

Stuartli 23:13 21 Jul 09

A cloned copy of a hard drive including the XP operating system would/could not be affected by a Windows7 installation if you later transfer it to a clean/reformatted hard drive.

I first clone an outgoing hard drive in this way if I get a new hard drive and can carry on as before after the transfer, but with increased disk capacity.

I would presume that backups of documents etc from a Windows7 setup could be transferred to an XP clone copy hard drive; however, as I said before, Windows7 still has to be released in the final version, so it would seem there are no definitive answers yet.

Perhaps the FE will be able to help more decisively?

woodchip 23:25 21 Jul 09

Why not fit another drive and load 7 on that? Dual Booted

lotvic 23:30 21 Jul 09

I have started a thread on Speakers Corner click here about the 'Microsoft's servers to nullify the XP activation/product key' question to see what others think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017