XP will only recognise 250GB HDD as 131GB

rbj 21:02 14 Aug 04

Just received and installed Maxtor 250GB HDD.
I have a Maxtor 120GB as master drive, partitioned as C,D drive, all OK.
Slave drive is the 250GB HDD. Been into Disk Manager and it shows as a 131GB partitioned drive.
Been in Bios and it shows as 250GB.
Where's the rest gone

powerless 21:08 14 Aug 04
  ste_bla 21:10 14 Aug 04

Windows XP manufactured prior to August 2002 has a native limitation of 137GB supporting ATA interface disc drives. In this configuration WinXP will not create partitions greater than 137GB until after the Service Pack is installed and registry bit EnableBigLBA is set to 1.

For the purposes of this discussion, both the original Parallel ATA (PATA) and the new Serial ATA (SATA) interface disc drives will have the same operating system requirements when attached to the motherboard and using the native Windows drivers.

As of January 2003, new copies of Windows XP Full Versions have incorporated 48-bit Addressing for ATA interface disc drives. You can confirm that your copy has this support by inspecting the installation CD artwork. It should say "Windows XP Home (or Professional) Edition Including Service Pack 1."

From click here

Basically update windows and it should just appear!

TomJerry 21:10 14 Aug 04

Maybe you can wait a few more days for Service Pack 2 (SP2).

THE TERMINATOR 23:39 14 Aug 04

If you have no data on you 250GB drive yet, formatting it in XP should do the trick. Open MY COMPUTER> click on the drive in question and choose format. You should choose NTFS as your filing system....TT

The Sack 01:29 15 Aug 04

Although XP needs SP1 to enable 48bit LBA you also need a mobo with a BIOS that can do it, i have a mobo in a second PC that runs at a nice healthy 2GHz with 512MB of RAM and it was made before XP ever came out. Dont rule out a BIOS update to add 48bit LBA to a system.

rbj 11:27 15 Aug 04

Thanks to all who replied to my query.
I guessed it would need a SP for windows, but I have read so many bad reports on sp1 that I have always stayed clear of updating windowsXP Pro.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now