XP will not start up

Beas-Knees 22:10 09 Apr 04

A friend has asked me to have a look at his PC. On startup it only offers to start with last known good configuration or to start in safe mode.If you choose last known G.C. it does nothing and if you choose safe mode it reels off about 50 lines all reading "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\" followed by examples such as ntfs.sys-ksecdd.sys-ndis.sys-sisagp.sys-mup.sys-disk.sys-classpnp.sys-sr.sys- etc,etc. Is there any hope for it without a reformat as he has some essential files on it that he really needs to save.

LastChip 22:19 09 Apr 04

You could try setting the BIOS to boot from the CD and when asked, try the repair option.

It may work.

Beas-Knees 22:28 09 Apr 04

Tried that but never used the repair option before, Basically it just presented me with a C:/ prompt, Is that what it should do and if so what next please.

LastChip 23:40 09 Apr 04

Avoid that, click here for an explanation.

niknax 00:33 10 Apr 04

had the same problem on thursday, pc would not boot, even to safe mode!! went into bios, found out the graphics card had switched to pci!! and the card was an agp!! changed it back, after trying different things for a while!! run an avast anti-virus (thorough) and found one!!

blighter got to me!! anyway try your bios, i had done everything possible, totally lost the plot for a while!! this has never happened to me before, bloody things drive me potty!! hope this helps!!

Nik

hugh-265156 00:45 10 Apr 04

after it displays a list or drivers it should then boot into safe mode.make take a min or so.i find safe mode slower to start than normal start up.give it a min or two.

if you cannot get into safe mode click here sorry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…