//some 3rd party need geo

XP will not read files saved in win98

daisy2bell 12:29 17 Mar 03

I have been given a 3 year old computor with xp home edition.
I tried to access some files on this machine from a CD RW disk which I had saved items on my other machine with win98. Both machines are identical in speed and ram.
It comes up as saying File is empty.
Any help please
Thanks
Fred

SantasLittleHelper 12:46 17 Mar 03

Hi, if Windows XP has been formatted as NTFS file system, then it will not be able to read Win 98 files, Win 98 is formatted as FAT32. I don't know if there are any programs that will convert your Win 98 files to NTFS, but it worth checking.

Djohn 13:15 17 Mar 03

I'm a little confused here, because my system is NTFS, and I have been able to open and read all my files saved on floppy from 98se. J.

cherria 13:34 17 Mar 03

XP will read both FAT32 and NTFS without issue. There was a thread a few days ago along similar lines but that was where the CD-R had been written in UTF(??) format and XP no longer supports this.

I suggest you try to read it on another computer to prove the file is ok and then if it is try it again in your XP machine. It may be that the disk is damaged.

Djohn 13:40 17 Mar 03

Just had another thought as well! You say the disk is a re-write one, I think that some of the older CD players can have trouble reading from these. Regards. J.

©®@$ђ 13:43 17 Mar 03

can you install the same software you used to create the cd, it sounds like a UDF issue, and installing the software used to write the cd, should fix that or you can install a UDF reader

click here

daisy2bell 14:37 17 Mar 03

I didn't make my self quite clear, so I'll try again.
I saved items in folders in "my documents" on my win98 to a CD RW, and some items just in "my documents"(not in folders)
When trying to access the FOLDERS in XP it says the folder is empty. However when I try to open a single file "i.e not in files from my computor", it opens them OK.
It seems only the FOLDERS are a problem, and not individual files.
Fred

flecc 17:27 17 Mar 03

Download the free Isobuster program from one of these two links and then install it, it's only a small program.

click here

Or click here

It can then examine the disc surface and give you the opportunity to extract anything it detects there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…