XP will not load onto new 64 bit sys

jack 21:06 24 Aug 05

In the build instruction that came with my 64bit MoBO bundle was a very explicit note to the affect that the exist system will not run, and a reformat and reinstall was the only way forward.
So reformat the drive and load the XP disk [Full XP pro retail version]
It started off weelenough then errored reporting a certain file was corrupt.
Checking this out it turns out the file was not a Windoze file but a Bios power saving feature which according to the manual was set to factory default as required.
another try reported another file damaged
Story as above but differnt area of bios.
Another try told me to report the error to an E-mail address given. Ha Ha!
Last try and black screen with small courier face
'Cannot read CD'
Dug out good old Win98SE and it loaded like a dream.
Futher try of the XP disk to install over
98 as was done orginally also failed.
So I damaged the disk then?
Got to spend pension on a new one?
To day I had the opportunity to try said disk on another 64bit machine.
It fired up right away.
So question - Is it possible the wocked Mr W G has organized a soething to my hard drive so that the disk will not run?
And if so would it have survived a Format?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:25 24 Aug 05

More likely the CD/DVD player you were trying to load from had problems reading the XP CD.

Yo knpw the CD is OK having loaded to aanother PC.
Therefore probably the player dirty try running a CD lens cleaner through it. Polish the CD and have another try.

jack 21:35 24 Aug 05

Funny that thought the same did the business -no joy
But then realized the drive is a new one since first install- A DVD burner.Could it be that - notlikely but clutching at straws now
So dig out spare drives and try them, Oh dear just given them to my mate to help with a problem he has.
Will have to get on to him then. A'int life a bitch

woodchip 21:36 24 Aug 05

Go into BIOS make sure there is NO Anti-Virus running Also disable power saving etc until you get windows loaded

User-312386 21:51 24 Aug 05

you did a full format with the XP disc and not a quik one?

jack 11:02 25 Aug 05

We have Progressed -but we've stopped
answers to your posers.
WoodChip -yup something I always forget unless the software disk tells me in big red letters -switch off AV - done that
Fruit Bat
Found yet another drive in my bitzbin[Thinking of opening a shop] Disk loaded fine with the drive dangling on the out side propped on Scott Mullers tome -I know I'd have a use for it one day
MadBoy
Yup a full F/disk format

The Programm offers 'Upgrade'[reccommended]
or Full

Start Upgrade
Whizzes along then tell me a file is missing[does not say where existing on 98 or on the disk] but stops dead.

Shutdown restart this time try Full
Another file problem but this time Syntax error
once more no idication of on existing systm or on the CD.
Will keep a trying, but later got to some leaflets to prepare

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple