XP will not boot directly off new SATA drive

rosko999 12:49 23 Jun 09

I have a Dell Dimension 9150 running Winows XP.

Last week the internal SATA hard drive failed to boot and the BIOS showed it as 'Not installed'.

I replaced the drice with a new Hitachi Deskstar SATA drive and trawled around various websites to get the SATA drivers to enable me to load XP.

Once XP is successfully loaded I get all the system device drivers installed, but on restarting the system I then get "No boot device available - strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility" - selecting F1 only repeats the message.

If on rebooting I press F12 to enter the boot menu and select to boot from the "Onboard SATA hard drive", then XP loads as normal.

I've tried reloading a fresh copy of XP again but I still get the same result.

Has anyone got any ideas why this PC doesn't boot XP as normal? I can only think that the problem is related to the SATA driver I downloaded, if so can anyone direct me to the correct one?

amichael 13:04 23 Jun 09

from reading your post I would say that your problem is defintely the boot up sequence/set up of boot devices. You need to go through the various option on the bios and make the change/s.

Again, from what the events you have explained it's clear to me it has nothing to do with the sata drivers because as you stated you have managed to load xp on the hard disk and booted up on it when you go through the boot F12 menu. The difference between f12 boot up menu and it not doing it automatically is the sequence and setting up of the sata on the bios.

woodchip 13:34 23 Jun 09

Check BIOS to see if the drive shows

rosko999 13:38 23 Jun 09

amichael, thanks for your advice. I've looked at and changed the boot sequence and all now appears ok - don't know why I didn't try this first!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017