XP - W98se Network problem

slowhand_1000 18:17 24 Dec 03

I have been trying to network my laptop to main pc via a Mercury Broadband Router.

OS on the main pc is W98se and the laptop has XP Home.

I ran the Network wizard on the laptop and then followed the instructions to insert the XP cd in the other pc to Perform Additional Tasks then Set up Home/Small Office Network.

After re-starting both pc's the W98 pc can see the laptop in 'Network Neighborhood' and access the shared folders

But when on the laptop and I click on the W98 pc within 'View workgroup computers' the following message appears,

\\Ours (where Ours is the W98 pc) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resourse. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

I suppose if all else fails at least I can leave files in the laptop shared folders and grab them using the W98 rather than send them directly. And rather than grab any files off the W98 I could always send them from the W98 to XP. - If that makes any sense.

Obviously the other main drawback is that the laptop can't access the printer on the W98 pc.

cheers

slowhand

PS. This is the first time I have tried to network pc's.

spikeychris 19:49 24 Dec 03

1. Firewalls: disable XP's built-in Internet Connection
Firewall on local area network connections it's for use only on a
direct modem connection to the Internet. Disable and un-install all
other firewalls while troubleshooting.

2. Protocols: Use only one for File and Printer Sharing. If the
network needs more than one protocol, unbind File and Printer Sharing
from all but one of them.

3. NetBIOS over TCP/IP: Make sure that it's enabled on both computers.

Control Panel

Network and Dial-up Connections

Local Area Connection

Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Properties

Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties

Advanced

WINS

Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

howard60 20:39 24 Dec 03

I would suggest you set the ip address manually

LeadingMNMs 20:50 24 Dec 03

do you know the IP address of the win98 machine ?
if you do then using a command prompt on the laptop type "ping 10.0.0.1" (where 10.0.0.1 is the computers IP address) Does the resulting response get a response or do all 4 'pings' time out.

to find out the IP address using a command prompt type in "ipconfig /all" and find the section title Ethernet Adapters and locate the IP address.

If your using a firewall which one ?

Repeat the ping commands and see if either computer can ping the router.

I've just finished setting up my network and had no end of problems, but all up and running now.

slowhand_1000 16:54 26 Dec 03

Thanks to all for you help.

Before trying anything else I thought I would go through the network wizard one last time on the W98 pc, and this time it took it ok. The only difference I could see was the 'Client for Windows Network' appeared this time on the W98 whereas I don't remember seeing it last time.

The only other thing was this morning. I switched the set top box off last night(as usual) and when I logged onto the internet first thing today it failed to load up. I ended up having to disconnect the router, plug it back in, then the internet loaded ok.

I suppose I will have to leave the set top box on 24hrs.

cheers

slowhand

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…