Xp to W7 Pro 64-bit

daft1druid 15:34 03 Sep 10

I have just bought a copy of Windows 7, and am not sure how to make sure that I don`t lose any of my data-including e-mails, etc, when I install it. Could anyone help me please? Thanks, Paul

gengiscant 16:08 03 Sep 10

If you have an external drive,then copy all your stuff over to it is probably the simplest way.
I like to use this click here which will make installing quite a few of the more popular programs a little easier.

gengiscant 16:10 03 Sep 10

Another way is this click here, this should have been in the first post,clicked the wrong button.

john bunyan 16:30 03 Sep 10

Dont forget W7 does not accept Outlook Express so worth deciding on your new eMail programme first and checking how to transfer eMails.
As gengiscant says above, and what I did, was to ensure all my created data was inthe "My Documents" Folder (plus internert "Favourites), which I copied to an external HD. I then formatted the PC's HD, created 2 Partitions - one of 100Gog for programmes and the other the balance, then did a clean install of W7, and other programmes from bought discs. If you have any downloaded bought programmes, dont forget to burn them to a CD ore DVD (data) so you can re install them, as you cannot copt programme files to install them.Then you can import your "My Documents" from the external HD as it was before.
There is an automated installation for w7 that does all this and creates an "old files" arrangement. Do read up about various ways of doing it, and check on e Mail you intend to use -I switched to Office Outlook 2007

john bunyan 17:01 03 Sep 10

Also see here:
click here

Blackhat 17:21 03 Sep 10

I just bought a new desktop with windows 7 installed, had copied everything from old PC onto external HD and installed into new PC. Beware; running 64 bit some programs may be incompatible, I found my Cannon software doesn’t work and had to download some new files to use Turbolister.

Check all your software for compatibility before committing in case you have an important program that you use that might not work fully in windows 7.

Also when installed don't use internet explorer (64 bit)you have the 2 options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5