xp and vista on two drives, possible?

lahorie 22:48 26 Nov 07

Hi Guys,

going through the forum i have noticed this can be done on one drive partitioned but what about two separate hard drives? I have vista on one hard drive on my hp pavilion dv9000 with part of it partitioned for recovery whilst the second hard drive is blank.

I tried removing the c: drive and put d: ( empty ) drive in its slot but system came back with no drives can be found when i tried installing XP, surely it must have found a drive, even with c: out and d: in it still said the same thing.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Lahorie

Technotiger 22:51 26 Nov 07
  lahorie 12:13 29 Nov 07

Thanks Technotiger,

Very helpful,

Doesnt explain why i wheni try toinstall xp on a new drive it comes back and says no hard drives were found to install xp on.

Cheers,

Lahorie

Spark6 13:58 29 Nov 07

Is your 'second' blank drive set as Master when you try to load XP?

lahorie 10:30 30 Nov 07

Hi Spark6

Yes it is....

Lahorie

Technotiger 10:41 30 Nov 07

Hmm, normally an XP install will look for Drive C:
unless you actually direct it otherwise. What exactly is your hard drive setup?

cream. 10:49 30 Nov 07

' I tried removing the c: drive and put d: ( empty ) drive in its slot but system came back with no drives can be found when i tried installing XP '

Have you checked that the single blank hard drive is seen in the bios. If the bios can not see it, windows will not see it.

Check which channel it is on and either pick autodetect or manually set the parimiters.

PS you do know that if you get XP to load, it will not automatically give you a boot loader. You will have to either keep entering the bios to disable the drive not wanted or find a boot loader that will take vista first then XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…