Xp, Vista or upgrade

manrow 08:39 AM 08 Jul 12

My 4 computers are running XP or Vista.

Are there compelling reasons why I should upgrade them to a later operating system, until at least I buy new computers?

Pine Man 09:03 AM 08 Jul 12

If they are all working fine, are secure and do what you want them to do satisfactorily, why bother?

iscanut2 10:15 AM 08 Jul 12

Wait until your next new computer(s).. If you buy new ones now, you will get Windows 7 with a cheap upgrade path to Windows 8, but as Pine Man says, if they are OK for you now, leave things as they are.

chub_tor 10:29 AM 08 Jul 12

Pine Man hits one nail on the head regarding security, Windows 7 is more secure than earlier versions. Your XP machines may not have the capability of running Windows 7 but the Vista machine will. Personally I would upgrade this one to Windows 7; you will find it will be more secure and run faster. Windows 8 has not been designed for simple desktop machines, to get the best from it a touch screen monitor will be needed.

Batch 09:49 AM 09 Jul 12

You asked "Are there compelling reasons why I should upgrade....."

The answer to this is clearly NO at this point in time unless either of these is true:

-- One wishes to run applications not supported under XP.

-- One is paranoid about security. XP will continue to receive security updates from Microsoft until (at least) April 2014 (see Extended Support End Date here.

As long as one uses a decent firewall and anti-virus / anti-malware software security should not be an issue in the meantime.

woodchip 11:03 AM 09 Jul 12

Mine all run XP one even dual boots with 98se. cannot see any need to change unless you want to keep up with the Joneses

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Animated film of Raymond Briggs' Ethel and Ernest ramps up production

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…