Xp and Vista networking

WILJO 18:03 21 Jun 08

My desktop is running XP SP3 and my new laptop is running Vista. I have a wireless connection between the two with a Netgear wireless G cable router and the connection appears to be ok, but I cannot find any files or folders that I have nominated for file sharing on the network. Also should I have to log on to the network, as I can't find any icon yo indicate this.
Any help appreciated.

ambra4 20:08 21 Jun 08

XP To Vista Network

To enable access to a Vista PC from another computer, both should be in the same

“Workgroup” should be a name of your own and not the Windows default name.

To change the “Workgroup” name right-click Computer and select “Properties”

In the System window, click the “Change Settings” if you need to rename your workgroup.

Next, setup the Network Location Type select Private if you are setting up a home network or small office network located behind an Internet gateway such as a router

Vista will then automatically configure security and other settings based on the type of network selected.

To view the Network Location Type-Start-Right click Network and select Properties.

This opens the “Network & Sharing Center” where the type will be shown in brackets after the Network Name.

If the Network Location Type is set to “Private” Network discovery is automatically enabled in the Sharing and Discovery section of the Network and Sharing Center window.

You should manually enable File Sharing, Public Folder Sharing and, if appropriate, Printer Sharing and Password Protected Sharing.

File Sharing

In the Sharing and Discovery section of the Network and Sharing Center window, click the down arrow next to File sharing.

Within the File sharing settings, click Turn on file sharing, and then click Apply.

To enable Public Folder Sharing

In the Sharing and Discovery section of the Network and Sharing Center window, click the down arrow next to Public folder sharing.

Within the Public folder sharing settings, click one of the following

If you want to share the Public Folder so that other computers on the network can access it to open files, but not create or change files, select “Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can open files”.

If you want to allow users to create or change files, select “Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can open, change, and create files”. Click Apply.

Printer Sharing

In the Sharing and Discovery section of the Network and Sharing Center window, click the down arrow next to Printer sharing.

Within the Printer sharing settings, select “Turn on printer sharing” click Apply.

Password Protected Sharing:

In the Sharing and Discovery section of the Network and Sharing Center window, click the down arrow next to Password Protected Sharing.

Click “Turn on password protected sharing” click Apply

File Sharing Settings

To share a folder in Vista, ensure that File Sharing is enabled as above then navigate to the Folder that you want to have available as “shared” over the network.

Right click and select “Share” the File Sharing properties sheet opens.

If you have Password Protected Sharing enabled, use the File Sharing properties sheet to select which users have access to the shared folder and their permission level.

To allow all users, select Everyone in the list of users.

To allow a user to change files or folders or create new files or folders, select Co-owner as the permission level.

If you do not have Password Protected Sharing enabled, use the File Sharing window to select the Guest or everyone account,

Which is the equivalent to “Simple File Sharing” in Windows XP.

Click “Share” and then “Done”.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…