XP - Vista network

charliep 10:22 AM 03 Nov 08

I set up a home network with my desktop & laptop both running XP pro - everything fine. Old laptop packed up, bought new one, Acer Aspire, running Vista Home Premium. Setup Acer to network, can access desktop and copy files from it no bother. When I try to copy from Acer to desktop, I can "see" Acer D drive but not access any files. I can access files from the Public files on Acer. I've removed passwords from Acer D drive but still can't access files from the desktop. Any ideas?

ventanas 10:53 AM 03 Nov 08

XP and Vista have different default Workgroup names. Have you changed one so that they match?
One is MSHome and one is Workgroup. They need to be the same.

charliep 11:02 AM 03 Nov 08

Thanks ventanas, but both are in the same workgroup.

ventanas 11:46 AM 03 Nov 08

Try Control Panel\Network and Sharing and see what is set to be shared.
Turn on anything that looks obvious.

ventanas 11:46 AM 03 Nov 08

Sorry, that is on the Vista machine.

mgmcc 12:26 PM 03 Nov 08

See if this click here and the Microsoft Article linked from the page helps.

mimosa418 14:36 PM 03 Nov 08

I have the same a similar set up and had similar problems when I first set up my network. In addition to the advice already given make sure that you have set the Document Properties to sharing, and also clicked the advanced sharing button and ticked 'share this folder'.
You should also select the Security tab ans ensude that there is an Everyone group with Full Control. If not click on Edit and Add a group called everyone with full control.
Doing this was the only way I could get networking to run smoothly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know