XP and Vista mixed on home network

jeano 17:48 11 Apr 07

I have Windosws XP (SP2) desktop machine and ASDL/router but no network set up as yet. I am planning to buy new PC (laptop with built in wireless connectivity). The new laptop will be Vista. Are there any issues with having mixed OS on the network?

PP321 18:16 11 Apr 07

1 word.

Nightmare.

im fairly competant on a PC and i can get the vista machine to see and access resources on the xp machine, but not vice versa.

I cant move files from the vista machine to the xp machine. i can view folders, but not contents, even though the folders are fully shared with ALL permissions set.

rodriguez 18:50 11 Apr 07

I've managed to share the Public folder, other folders need to have the permissions messed with quite a bit I think. Anyway to share the Public folder, I went to the Network Sharing Center, turned on the Public Sharing and turned off the Password Protected Sharing. Also make sure you're XP network workgroup is called "WORKGROUP" and not "MSHOME".

PP321 21:37 11 Apr 07

since writing my last post, the public shared folder is now working, but nothing else.

thegreypanther 10:30 12 Apr 07

As with PP321 I agree that networking Vista nd XP PCs is a pain in the proverbial.
In my case one of the tricks seemed to be to make sure that the router and adapters were of the same make (e.g. Belkin).
However, at the moment I am struggling to instal printer drivers so that the PCs can share a printer on the network.
To date,Vista (64-bit) has been a pain in just about everything, - especially device drivers and software.

jeano 00:54 20 Jul 07

Decided to stick with XP for the time being - but buying laptop with XP option limited choice. Finally decided on Acer 5103WLmi running XP media edition. Just set up wireless network - OK so far but no file or printer sharing tried yet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017