XP - vista file transfer

gg4419 17:05 23 Oct 08

Dear all,

My girlfriend has a new laptop running vista and wants to transfer files from her old XP (home) over the wireless network we have set up, however although I can see the XP laptop from the vista one, I can't access it to see any files and an error message comes up saying it can not access \\compname,

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gareth

dobbin 17:12 23 Oct 08

I had exactly the same problem with my vista laptop. You have to download a program that make xp files visible to Vista click here . Then its easy.

Woolwell 17:33 23 Oct 08

Hm - I don't want to totally disagree with dobbin but my Vista desktop can see files on 2 XP laptops over a wireless network and vice versa. These are files that are in shared folders on the XP machines and in the public folders on the Vista machine. I did have problems initially accessing the files and got similar error messages to the ones that you have stated. I discovered that this was due to a firewall problem on the XP machine and I had to set the IP addresses as trusted with the firewall.

It is probably easier and quicker though to put them on a memory stick, external drive or DVD and transfer them over.

gg4419 17:34 23 Oct 08

Right, I've downloaded that and I can now see the compuet but still get the same error when I click on it. Can't seem to see any folder or files etc.

Woolwell 17:43 23 Oct 08

Try temporarily turning off the firewalls and anti-virus on both machines.

musicman19 23:30 25 Oct 08

What you have to do is not transfer but copy. To copy to the vista machine you must be working on the vista machine. Copy the files you want from the XP machine then if necessary you can delete them when working on the XP machine. It's all a matter of network access rights.

oldbeefer2 13:33 26 Oct 08

Did this recently and found the easiest way was to use the easy transfer wizard using 3 CDs. took a little while, but everything transfered perfectly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5