XP versus 98SE file system data on 2nd HD

jonmac 12:22 11 Nov 03

I have a PC running Windows 98SE with 2 hard disks, a 40Gb Primary and the second serving as a 20 Gb back-up and which is now pretty well full. Thirdly and fourthly I have back-ups on CDRs.

I intend to fit a new 80Gb Primary HD and will install XP Pro. on it. Will I then be able to copy-over my backup data to the new HD from the present secondary one or will the different file systems on the disks, NTFS and FAT32, preclude this? It would be more convenient than ploughing through about 30+ CDs.

Rtus 12:40 11 Nov 03

XP can access w98 files if the Hd's fitted as slave.individual programs might cause bother though as they wouldnt have been set-up to access via the new C:\ drive..

jonmac 13:28 11 Nov 03

Thanks Rtus, that sets my mind at rest.
So I should be able to copy over the files from the secondary HD, replace it with the old primary HD (jumpers reset of course) as the new secondary then presumably format that with the NTFS system and off we go........!
Thanks again for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…