XP Validation

dms05 08:47 19 Nov 06

I've just re-installed XP Home on my Acer laptop using the CD's supplied by Acer. I then ran the MS Update facility and download/installed 66 updates. All was fine.

The next day (today) I tried to install Defender, which goes well until we reach the Update Definitions which are 296 days old. At this point I'm thrown into an endless circle of Validation/Registering and back to the start.

I can no longer access the XP Update facility. I've tried all the offered options but cannot Register my copy XP Home which is 100% genuine and worked 100% before the reinstall.

Any ideas what I do next?

Phphred 08:56 19 Nov 06

You will have to get on the phone to validate!!!

mattyc_92 11:13 19 Nov 06

Only legal way to solve this is to contact Microsoft as Phphred has suggested

dms05 12:11 19 Nov 06

Pity! Why does a 100% valid and genuine copy of XP operate without treating me as a pirate?

freaky 12:50 19 Nov 06

How to validate Windows XP: -

Using CTRL-C highlight the following commamd

C:\WINDows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A

Go to RUN then press CTRL-V so the above command is in the RUN Box - click OK

Windows will then validate.

For this to work the command MUST be exactly as have typed above.

Good luck.

wee eddie 14:39 21 Nov 06

that are 296 days old.

This begs the question: From where is your copy of Defender coming?

On that basis I would, uninstall Defender, reboot the Laptop and check, once-more, the M$ Update Site.

If that is now working again, go back to the M$ site and re-download Defender.

p.s. Have you upgraded to IE7 yet?

dms05 14:48 21 Nov 06

freaky - C:\WINDows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A returns the result Windows already Activated.

wee eddie - Defender came from MS as their standard download. I have IE7 but use Firefox and Opera except where I have to use IE (eg MS site).

So I'm Activated by apparently NOT Registered on the MS website. I was Registered before I re-installed XP.

wee eddie 15:13 21 Nov 06

you have 30 days to register your copy of Windows.

I think that that is the form.

freaky 15:45 21 Nov 06

Going by what you have said, it would appear Defender will not let you download the updates because it thinks your version of XP is not genuine.

As stated above you could try uninstalling it, then reinstall. If it still will not download the updates then it probably put something in your registry logging the fact about your version of XP.

The only thing you can do in this case is search the Microsoft Knowledge Base for a possible solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos