XP USA Edition

Newuser1742 19:12 05 Dec 03

I travel to the USA regularly and have thought of upgrading my Win Me software to XP. If I buy this in the USA will it work correctly in the UK, or will I be stuck with and unuseable operating system. Also should I use the upgrade or the original version?
Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 19:16 05 Dec 03

I don't see that there should be any problem - previous versions certainly had not problems. Go for the upgrade version; it will be cheaper and you have a qualifying product. But you will not be able to give away yoou copy of WinME if you do go the upgrade route.

XP will not know where it is!

Lozzy 19:32 05 Dec 03

Graham is correct. I have the USA version and experienced no issues

chub_tor 14:51 06 Dec 03

I don't understand Graham's response or Lozzys. I thought that I asked a simple question - can I use Windows XP, purchased in the USA on a system operating in the UK without problems. My concern was that I might end up with a system that doesn't recognise UK spellings, the £ sign etc. I will be overwriting a UK purchased Windows ME operating system - itself an upgrade from Win98. So what do you mean the Windows will not know where it is?
Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 14:57 06 Dec 03

chub_tor - he meant that it makes no difference to windows operating system if it is in the US / England or wherever. There are lots of options within windows to localise it - tell it the country that you are in, the type of key board you are using (english, US etc.).

You can safely buy it in the US and use it here.

Forum Editor 14:59 06 Dec 03

just that - Windows XP doesn't know which country it's in until you tell it. You'll set your timezone and your keyboard type yourself, and Windows will play ball.

Buy your software in America if you wish, but be prepared to pay VAT on it when you bring it back. I also travel to America on business fairly frequently, but I don't buy my software there because I don't see much advantage in doing so.

chub_tor 15:14 06 Dec 03

Thank you very much, that's all I needed to know. This is a great forum and I am glad that I found it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…