XP" upgrade will not boot

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:49 16 Nov 06

A friend of mine has just phoned me. He has loaded XP2 onto his XP computer and the computer boots up to the login screen sticks there and then reboots continuously. He has not managed to get into windows. He has tried this in safe mode and sometimes it will boot into safe mode and the same happens. Has anyone got any bright ideas as to what he should do? I have to go out so he will keep an eye on this page. he is reasonably computer literate. I have suggested using XP floppy boot disks but must dash.....

G

VoG II 20:51 16 Nov 06

Recovery Console to remove SP2 click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:41 18 Nov 06

Finally for the forum hive mind......he booted into safe mode whee he was able to remove XP2 and everything is fine. Still don't know why the computer refused to get past the login screen when XP2 was on it.

G

James. 16:47 18 Nov 06

"Still don't know why the computer refused to get past the login screen when XP2 was on it."

Nor do I , but if it's any consolation I tried to do the same on a friends PC and had the same problem. even tried formatting and installing an SP2 slipstreamed CD, same problem, it just would not accept SP2. Just thought you might like to know your not alone.

Regards

James

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:15 18 Nov 06

Has he got a Prescott CPU there is a patch to fix the problems of loading SP2 on certain Prescot CPUs.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:23 18 Nov 06

I'll check and IIRC the computer is a 4 year old evesham. He lives a long way from me so I have not seen the computer yet.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…