Xp upgrade nightmare! Please help.

Bluescreen 07:34 06 Mar 03

Hi.
I joined Bills Xp club yesterday but now my p.c. wont load!!

I upgraded from Me. Everything went fine and the system was loaded and working. I activated Hibernate and tried it out, only for my p.c. to turn off. I started up only to go past POST and then say:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

Windows root>\system32\hall.dll

How the hell can I reinstall this file now I don't have dos or boot disk?

I have found my way to Set up buy don't know what to do?

Please help.

Very tierd Dave

Djohn 08:00 06 Mar 03

click here if you scroll down to the long post with a reply from the M/S knowledge base, you will notice it mentions the same file.

I know this is not the answer you want, but might be useful to keep an eye on the replies to that thread. Regards. J.

I would say just install XP again over the top of your current xp installation - during the process you will be asked if you want to try and repair the installation - say yes and it may pick up the missing file.

Just boot the PC with the CD in the drive and it should do its stuff.

User-312386 08:41 06 Mar 03

what you need to do is this go to start>run and type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and the forward slash)

Put your XP disc in and it will scan the system for corrupt files

madboy33

Bluescreen 08:44 06 Mar 03

What is administrator password?

Bluescreen 00:57 07 Mar 03

When upgrading, be ready for the worst!!!

It didn't matter what I did, I could not get windows to load. The above error would stop me.I have seeked help of everybody and all were stunted.(Was even thinking of dropping it off at PC world!(only joking!) In the end I had to use disk wizard and write disk to Zeros and do clean install!! I hope i'm a one off!!

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…