XP Upgrade issues inc. restoring dbx files

Maineman 23:22 07 Jun 04

I have recently upgraded from W98 to WXP. I have managed to import some dbx files from my old outlook express folder but others wont import at all. Strange. I had diff folders in my Inbox and only some will import, but I have others that I need to recover. Any suggestions? I note recent postings (eg keyhole 070604) but the 'import' option only successfully recovers some folders/dbx files and not others.
Also I seem to have kept my old 'user profile' in WXP. Local disk/docs and settings/ then about five different profiles....can I safely delete those I don't want?
I'm just trying to create some disk space on this issue but I think it may be as a result of some failed Service Pack 1 download attempts.
Anyway, all help appreciated, forgive my ramblings please!

User-312386 00:04 08 Jun 04

which ones are you having trouble with?

Ensure that OE is closed when trying to replace .dbx files

which .dbx files can you not import?

temp003 05:21 08 Jun 04

If you have folders or subfolders in your old OE other than the default folders, either re-create them in the new OE in the same places as before, or if the old 98 Outlook Express folder is still around, find the file folders.dbx, and copy it to the new XP Outlook Express folder, replacing the existing one. Then import the email again.

temp003 05:27 08 Jun 04

I think when you take the upgrade path from 98 to XP, the 98 user profiles are retained and transferred to XP.

The safer course is to remove the user accounts first, then restart, and delete the user folders under c:\documents and settings (if not removed already).

Go to Control Panel, User Accounts, in the Pick a Task list, choose "Change an account", click the account you want to remove, select "Delete the account". If asked whether to save the user's files, say no. Then restart, and see if the user folders are still around under C:\Docs and Settings. If so, just delete them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…