XP upgrade.

Simsy 08:13 24 Oct 05

Hi folks...

I might possibly get my dad an upgrade to Windows XP, (from WindowsMe) for Christmas.

I was thinking of getting a new HDD and OEM Windows for a fresh install, but given the new licensing rules for OEM maybe I can't do this...

Anyway, as I understand it, with an upgrade disc you can format and do a fresh install, but have to insert your previous OS disc to prove eligibility for the install. I also understand that a "Restore" disc isn't sufficient for this purpose.

That would seem to leave 2 options;

1)Upgrade over the top of existing WinMe,

2)Restore to original using restore disc, the upgrade over the top of this.

I have concerns over both of these methods. I want to do a fresh install, because, in the first instance, the WinMe installation, while not giving lots of major problems, does give enough problems for me to feel that this wouldn't be wise.

My concern with the second is that shortly after he got the PC, from Evesham,about 3 years ago, there was a HDD failure which meant the HDD was replaced under warranty... I presume the replacement HDD does not have the neccesary "hidden partition" to recover from?

My intended "solution" is to use MY windows 98se disc, (Genuine, OEM, supplied when I bought my PC system), as the "proof of eligibilty".

It seems to me that there is no doubt that he is eligible for upgrade as he has a genuine version of Windows on the PC.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? Does it ask for the reg key for the "proof" disc? I fso, presumeably it would prevent me subsequently upgrading to XP in a similar manner?

Without meaning to sound ungrateful, I know I can get XP via eBay etc... I'm looking specifically for comments on whether my understanding of things regarding the "Restore" disc, Hidden partition on Evesham PC, and using my 98 disc as "proof", are correct.

Thanks in anticipation, for any observations,

Regards,

Simsy

mgmcc 08:27 24 Oct 05

If you have a full copy of Windows XP, even if it is a *Microsoft* OEM copy, you can clean install XP.

If you have an "Upgrade" copy of XP, you can clean install XP provided you have a *full* copy CD (not an Upgrade copy) for an earlier qualifying version of Windows. During installation, you are prompted to insert the earlier CD, but not to enter its Product Key.

ventanas 08:41 24 Oct 05

Simsy, what I do in these circumstances is upgrade over the top of (in this case) ME and let it finish completely, and then use the upgrade disc to reformat and reinstall. I know its doing it twice, but you do get a clean install. You will not be asked for qualifying media once you have an existing installation of XP. But as you have a Win98 disc that will also work when it comes to putting in the qualifying media, so you should only need to install once.

As to your other question, no the upgrade does not ask for the licence key of the qualifying media.

ventanas 08:41 24 Oct 05

Simsy, what I do in these circumstances is upgrade over the top of (in this case) ME and let it finish completely, and then use the upgrade disc to reformat and reinstall. I know its doing it twice, but you do get a clean install. You will not be asked for qualifying media once you have an existing installation of XP. But as you have a Win98 disc that will also work when it comes to putting in the qualifying media, so you should only need to install once.

As to your other question, no the upgrade does not ask for the licence key of the qualifying media.

ventanas 08:42 24 Oct 05

Sorry about the double, having problems with site.

Quiller. 08:57 24 Oct 05

Totally clean install with an OEM.

For an XP upgrade, you would just need to slip the 98 disk in the cdrom for it to verified.

Simsy 09:59 24 Oct 05

I hadn't thought of that one ventantas.

That might just be the easiest. Save me getting my CD out of hiding!

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…