XP updates slows down boot

iqs 18:59 22 Mar 10

Hi,

I recently updated my XP Media Edition OS from SP2 to SP3.Since then my PC has been a little sluggish on boot.

Is there known update/s that have caused issues like mine?.

I have done the usual,stop apps from loading at boot,etc etc.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

birdface 19:21 22 Mar 10

Do a defrag.

iqs 19:43 22 Mar 10

Hi,
Have done a defrag/chkdsk,registry scan,stopped apps from loading on boot,various virus scans just incase,still the same.
Thanks

Hudson 21:19 22 Mar 10

In my experience updates do slow down XP. I'd be interested to know whether this is inevitable.

birdface 22:25 22 Mar 10

If using I/E download IE7Pro Add-on make sure Ad-Blocker is ticked and Mini Download Manager is unticked.It should help you browse a bit quicker.
As far as I can remember SP3 uses a fair bit of memory could you be needing more memory.

Maybe some of your drivers needing updating.

Hudson 22:43 22 Mar 10

Good point about the memory. I got a very noticeable improvement going from 512MB to 1GB.

iqs 14:18 24 Mar 10

Hi all

Thank you for the advice.

My current PC has 2GB of RAM,so its not down to insufficient memory.
From previous updates,I have always noticed a performance hit after the updates.But this always varied.
I remember way back in 2002 I believe.I updated my XP Home to XPSP1.After 10 minutes I was using the recovery floppy.

I wonder how many other have experienced similar issues to mine???

Many thanks again all..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…