XP Updates after April 14th?

Blue Whale 18:11 06 Apr 09

Hello all,
Can somebody please tell me if we will still be able to download all existing Windows XP updates after April 14th, when we have to re-install windows? And even after the 5 year 'extended support'?
I've read all news reports I can about it but this particular issue is never mentioned as far as I can see.
My comp can't handle Vista or 7 and I don't want to buy a new comp (can't afford it)
Thanks,
Dave H

woodchip 18:15 06 Apr 09

Why do you have to re-install windows? You can keep getting XP Updates as long as they provide them. I set mine so I can do them Manual Custom Install

rdave13 18:17 06 Apr 09

"after April 14th, when we have to re-install windows" ?
I won't be re-insalling Windows then If I can help it. LoL. Where on earth did you hear that?

Blue Whale 18:24 06 Apr 09

Hi,
I didn't mean we all HAVE to re-install XP on April 14th ,just that is when MS switches to extended support (no new updates) and I just wondered what happens to people who have to or want to re-install after MS stops supporting XP. Sorry for the confusion.
Dave H

Sea Urchin 18:36 06 Apr 09

Extended support does not mean no updates - it means that security updates will continue for another 5 years, but instead of free service from the Microsoft help desk, "consumers" will have to pay for most assistance.

rickf 18:38 06 Apr 09

MS is supporting XP for quite a while yet as I understand it. Can't remember where I read it now.

lotvic 19:05 06 Apr 09

So will it possible to manually download all existing Windows XP updates and 'save' and burn to a CD or DVD? so that hours of downloading updates is avoided should at a future date a completely fresh install of XP is needed (like a HDD failure or similar and if perchance acronis backup image doesn't work - worst case scenario :( )

If so anybody know how to do it?

rdave13 19:26 06 Apr 09

Found this; click here . Worthwile I think.

lotvic 19:37 06 Apr 09

Cheers :) that's just the job, many thanks.

Blue Whale could do the same as well then that will cut down on any future updating to a reasonable level.

I'll d/l them when I get my connection speed fixed - it's suddenly dropped to 780Kbps tonight (is usually 2.7Mb - usb modem is playing up, need a new one this Sagem talktalk is years old and a bit unreliable)

lotvic 22:30 06 Apr 09

Well the MS update site has changed a bit since that page rdave13 :( looks a bit fiddly now with WGA etc. I'll prob not bother and stick with acronis. Bit belt and braces on my Dell pc :))

Blue Whale 07:18 07 Apr 09

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions

Dave H

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017