xp updates

oldnovice 17:53 25 Apr 03

my daughter has xp and has 46 outstanding updates
25 critical her telephone connection to aol is terrible i have 98se but have b/b connection is it possible for me to download xp updates and save copy to disc and install on her pc if so how any help appreciated dave

JoeC 18:25 25 Apr 03

if you go to the Windows Update site, on the left hand side you should find Windows Catalogue under " See Also " . If you select this you are able to search for updates for whichever Operating System you want. These can then be put onto CD - at least as far as I can remember. : }

NICK ADSL UK 18:34 25 Apr 03

hi oldnovice the best way to use xp updates is to do them Manually By doing it this way it gives you the chance to understand what you are downloading not all of these updates will be necessary in your circumstances indeed some updates at the present time will do more harm then good if you are not sure of un update just post back where I or one of the other members will be able to advice you further

powerless 18:54 25 Apr 03

Cannot say i count the updates but 25 hmmm...

Have you Service Pack 1 installed? That will kick 130MB into XP and you can get it off Cover CD's you just have to buy the magazine and you'll see the updates go down, so reducing the time you spend on the downloading updates.

Or order the free CD
click here

OR have someone with a Broadband connection to download the updates like JoeC says. (if you know such a person)

beeuuem 20:07 25 Apr 03

It would be worth getting the SP1 disc as Powerless suggests.
To manually download updates the steps are

1/Add the Windows Update Catalog to Windows Update
Visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:
click here

2/Click Personalize Windows Update.

3/Click to select the Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog under See Also check box.

4/Click Save Settings. A Windows Update Catalog link appears under See Also.

When you have done the above and are in the Windows update catalog click on 'Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems'.
Search under all the Windows XP listings for the updates your daughter needs. From her Windows update window she can scan for updates and give you a list of those she needs.
Downloading from this site you can save the updates and burn them to disc.

oldnovice 20:55 25 Apr 03

Thankyou Joe c, NICK ADSL UK, powerless, beeuuem,I will use combination of all suggestions look for cover cd make a list of what she needs useing step guide and download on my pc
Ta dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…