XP update suddenly switched off

ex-wirecutter 10:29 10 Jul 08

I have Windows update set to " notify " only and I update manually,this has worked fine for years .
Suddenly I get " update switched off by administrator " and when I go to control panel update window , it's greyed out and nothing works.Even if I go to Microsoft.com update it denies access . All I have done recently is download the latest AVG 8 , could that be the cause ?

kalignorgna 10:31 10 Jul 08

not unless the copy you downloaded was a fake try runin spybot S&D to look for virus and the like

birdface 11:24 10 Jul 08

Try switching AVG8 off and see if it works.In Security center,At the bottom try Automatic Updates and see if you can switch it off.If not maybe try this.click here

brundle 11:30 10 Jul 08

Run this; click here

It's safe to use and has worked for me on various machines.

' This is a tool to check whether or not certain security-related group policy settings have been set.
' Under XP Home, many of these settings are functional yet have no user interface, creating a significant
' vulnerability - if code can run, it can disable the firewall, updates, registry editing, the command
' prompt, and much more. This tool will check these settings and, if necessary, allow the user to try
' to clear them. It will not try to bypass any restrictive registry permissions. Some of these are used
' by Trojans to prevent removal - for example, the SmitFraud trojan will disable most of the Display
' control panel.

ex-wirecutter 11:35 10 Jul 08

Thanks for the suggestions , I forgot to add I recently updated Zone Alarm as well.From other threads I see other people are having problems with Windows updates , perhaps I am better off without them , especially SP3 !

Davella 11:39 10 Jul 08

Zone alarm

Hi
The problem is the latest Windows update. I have had the same problem In my case it was my Zone Alarm firewall. Theres a work around on their site just been posted there.
click here
Hope this helps.

ex-wirecutter 11:52 10 Jul 08

Thanks everyone , in view of the recent report that Zone Alarm free was rated as poor , I may delete it and try the better rated Comodo , also I may re install AVG 8 from their own site . Cheers all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017