XP update problems (again)

allang 13:45 16 Feb 04

After a recent re-format of my hard disc,I am trying to install critical updates.I sent for XP SP1 on cd which installed ok.When I check for critical updates,Win update sez 16 critical updates available.Have downloaded them to cd due to a previous disaster.I'm now in deep excrement.

1.When I try to install "Cumulative Security Update for IE6 SP1 (KB832894)" I lose the ability to use the "INDEX" tab in Help and Support Centre. See posting by Velco click here. Removing the update cures the problem.

2.I tried to install "Update Rollup 1 for Win XP (KB826939)" and my laptop is knackered.I've got 100's of cross linked files (again) so I'm going to have to re-format(again).If I chose auto installation,download size is 230KB.If I download to save to disc the file size is 9MB.Seems odd!!

What am I doing wrong? Should they be installed in a particular order? Should I install before adding anti-virus prog ? Should I not bother at all? Anyone else having similar problems?

I'm a bit wary of installing the rest 'cos I don't know what disasters await.Thanx in advance.

allang 14:23 16 Feb 04

^

allang 14:57 16 Feb 04

^

allang 15:42 16 Feb 04

^

allang 15:44 18 Feb 04

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…