xp update problem

Newuser339 12:06 16 Oct 05

Evertime I update xp pro (licenced copy) and try to reboot , my computer will sometimes reboot ok or more likely than not will start with the 'restart normally', 'restart from last know good configeration' screen. I've reinstalled xp 3 times and the problem persists. At the moment I'm running xp perfectly with no updates. Can anyone plz help? Tony

alan227 12:08 16 Oct 05

Are you installing SP2 as well?.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:56 16 Oct 05

This can happen if there are viruses or spyware on your system.

Scan with antivirus and antispyware programs, eliminate any found then retry the update.

Newuser339 13:15 16 Oct 05

hi guys and thx for the replies - sp2 has already been installed from the installation cd it's when I update the fresh instasll that the problem occurs.
Also I'm running 'Zonealarm' and scan before each update shows no infection - it's a mystery!

Faser 14:41 16 Oct 05

If your mobo bios has fast boot option turned on try disabling it. Also have you checked the device manager, it's amazing the grief an incorrectly installed peripheral can cause, I had same problem caused by a faulty card reader.

splork 15:12 16 Oct 05

might be worth doing a thorough h/d check, at the command prompt type chkdsk /f and see if any errors/bad sectors crop up, or chkdsk /r if you can leave the pc to get on with it for an hour or more

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…