XP Temp Directory

Bad Dad 22:24 12 Apr 04

I know this is probably a daft question, but is it ok to delete the contents of my temp directory in windows XP? It's got about 1GB of stuff in it.

Thanks in advance.

ade.h 22:54 12 Apr 04

Yes. It gets deleted anyway anytime you perform a disk Cleanup (which is in System tools and the properties tab of your hard disk)

Bad Dad 19:32 13 Apr 04

Thanks very much.

Tinkey Winkey 19:53 13 Apr 04

What is the Temp Directory and why would you want to delete it ?

lucky1 20:02 13 Apr 04

Are we talking about Temporary Internet files here ?

keenan 20:16 13 Apr 04
  lucky1 20:23 13 Apr 04

keenan

Thanks for this link. Not happy at the thought of emptying this folder, stuff LOOKS too important. Can it be emptied without causing problems with my PC, despite what is said in the link?

keenan 20:46 13 Apr 04

Yes it's exactly what it says ' temp' it's mostly temporary files that installations have left while they were installing your programs etc.

You can delete its contents regularly, especially if you need the 'free' space.

Some of the files wont delete because they are being used by windows.

ade.h 21:06 13 Apr 04

Keenan is right; rest assured that you can let Windows deal with these files in the Cleanup process, which is worth running occasionally if space is a bit limited as Windows can be a bit claustrophobic in its approach to disk space.

lucky1 21:28 13 Apr 04

Thank you ade.h and keenan.

Regards.

ade.h 21:44 13 Apr 04

No probs :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…