XP takes 12 mins to close down

kinger 22:44 28 Jun 04

After selecting 'shut down', my PC won't actually switch off for up to 12 minutes later.

It used to shut down in just a few seconds.

I'm left staring at 'windows is shutting down'.

Any known reasons for this happening?

Thanks in advance.

VoG II 22:56 28 Jun 04
  kinger 23:04 28 Jun 04

Newsgroup correspondent “Sarah” provided one specific solution for this.

In Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services, stop the Nvidia Driver Helper service. (You can also get this by launching SERVICES.MSC from a Run box.) M

any other newsgroup participants quickly confirmed that this solved this “extremely slow shutdown” problem for them (it’s the most successful solution for this problem to date).

According to correspondent Gan Ming Teik, downloading and installing the new version 23.11 Nvidia driver also solves this problem.

ianeon 04:15 29 Jun 04

Will this help ?
Patience! A word my mother always used. Patience is a virtue. One which I think I've been blessed with. I can happily drive behind someone who is doing 20 in a 60 zone. No sign of road rage. However, it seems this isn't the case when it comes to shutting down and restarting my computer. Yes, I get a little annoyed when my computer is slow to shut down and restart.
So here is yet another tip submitted by a reader that can cut the amount of time it takes your computer to shut down to only a few seconds. Just be cautious, as it does require you to make a slight change to the registry. Here it goes:
1. Click Start, click Run, and type regedit.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control.
3. Click the Control folder.
4. Right click "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" and click Modify.
5. Set the value lower than 2000. You may want to start with 1500 and experiment a little with the values.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…