XP System Restore

PCUSER2 11:58 06 Aug 04

Hi All
How can I remove the unwanted restore points on my PC I know through windows clean up you can remove all but the last restore point but I want to keep one of the first and remove the in between
As always your help appreciated
Cheers

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:08 06 Aug 04

You cannot remove single retore points as each restore point is incremental, so selectively removing a Restore point would render all prior Restore points useless.

G

Graham ® 12:15 06 Aug 04

You can remove them one at a time using 'Undo my last restoration'.

victor meldrew 13:28 06 Aug 04

I don't think you can do it, because unless you actually restored it on that day you can't undo it

rawprawn 13:49 06 Aug 04

It is possible to remove specific restore points, there were instructions posted in this forum in mid July. However it is complicated and it was shown as a way of getting rid of a trojan hiding within system restore without losing all restore points.

Graham ® 14:23 06 Aug 04

I stand corrected :-)

Graham ® 14:28 06 Aug 04

click here courtesy of powerless

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:37 06 Aug 04

..however you cannot remove specific points.

G

BurrWalnut 15:08 06 Aug 04

To remove individual restore points in XP Pro you have to take ownership of the file (it's best done at the folder level. Right-click System Volume Information, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it and/or delete specific restore points.

It's not so easy in XP Home but this will help click here

If you get Access Denied you have to "take ownership" of the file/folder before it can be deleted. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick "Use simple file sharing", which will allow the Security tab to be shown in the file's properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.

Alternatively, to change the interval between system restore points, run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore. In RPGlobalInterval it is set to 86400 (seconds) which represents 24 hours. Change it accordingly.

PCUSER2 07:53 07 Aug 04

o.k I wanted to remove some restore points because some of them are faulty so whats my best option PC seems to be going fine now so with disk clean up shall I remove all but the last restore point also how much space does all these restore points take up?

Sethhaniel 08:05 07 Aug 04

System Restore to do virus scan then switch on again - have you lost the restore points set??

As after I did a virus check recently when turning back System restore back on there are no points to select - -
or am I missing something

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…