xp system re-install failure

lisa_gedo 03:39 13 Aug 10

My pc has been running really slow and freezing up a lot lately so i did a complete re-install, did the 'system is looking for files on computer' then started on installing the system only to give me an error that i386 was missing and there should be more information. system then shut down to 'protect my pc'. turned back on and it completed the reset and loaded to desktop as ususal, when i looked in my 'c' drive there doesn't appear to be a windows file and my windows won't update but it's not giving me an error code or anything. I have used my recovery disk numerous times without a problem, is it possible that virus may have damaged my hard drive or is it possible that the pc is just starting to fail?

gengiscant 09:56 13 Aug 10

Have you tried cleaning your recovery disk, It may sound simple,but reinstall problems for me once were nothing more than a dirty disk.

lisa_gedo 12:56 13 Aug 10

thanks geng, i've just finished another re-install, errors noted below....i'll try cleaning disk and try again.

tried a re-install again with a re-install of windows using recovery disk got to installing windows and error code came up again:

Setup log files should contain more information.

D;\i386\NT5.CAT is invalid error 800b0100

no signature present in the subject.

signature for XP home edition upgrade is invalid 800b0100.

setup failed to install product catalogs.
setup log files should contain more information.

This is a FATAL ERROR

lisa_gedo 12:58 13 Aug 10

note to geng....thanks, checked disk and it's spotless

gengiscant 13:42 13 Aug 10

Do you have another Harddrive?
It also could be a faulty stick of ram.If you have two sticks,take one out the try to install windows,if no luck try the other.I know this is a pain but it seems the most likely cause of the error message.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:27 13 Aug 10

click here;EN-US;q307153

lisa_gedo 15:43 13 Aug 10

thanks guys. ok just done another 3 resets, 1st time got error message 'battery hasn't passed logo testing' started up after accepting that but taskbar and startup and all other windows had everything blacked out! 2nd reset got the original error and 3rdly! got system running with no error codes but when i tried to update windows got error code 0x80072EFE. I do have 2 external hard drives but they both hold important information and my pc only has 1 stick of ram.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:56 13 Aug 10

Ok link didn't work

To resolve this problem, rename the %WinDir%\System32\Catroot2 folder. For more information about how to rename folders by using the Windows XP user interface, click Start, click Help and Support, type renaming folders, press ENTER, and then click Change the name of a file or folder.

To rename the %WinDir%\System32\Catroot2 folder at a command prompt, follow these steps:

1. While the Setup program is running, and while the error message still appears on the screen, press SHIFT+F10 to start a command prompt.
2. At the command prompt, type cd\windows\system32\, and then press ENTER.
3. Type rename catroot2 catold, press ENTER, and then restart the computer.
4. Try again to finish the upgrade.

If you cannot start a command prompt while the Setup program is running, start the computer from a Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition startup disk, and then rename the %WinDir%\System32\Catroot2 folder. Or, start the computer from the Windows XP CD, and then rename the folder in Recovery Console.

gengiscant 16:24 13 Aug 10

For the error code.click here

lisa_gedo 18:20 13 Aug 10

ok managed to get system back on, it has downloaded quik a few updates but still getting an error when i try for example to change the appearance of mr desktop (visual style could not load files....invalid signature) !! I may just leave it as is as long as it's useable and invest in a new tower...thanks for all you helps guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…