XP System Crash

Veitcy 12:09 24 Jun 05

Whilst on the internet I got the dreaded blue screen stating system corrupted restart computer. I tried but it would not start so went into setup and set to start from xp disk. This said press R for repair but no go just stated restart so tried again but xp disk wants to format my hard disk.Am I sunk or can I save anything. Help!!!

mattyc_92 12:13 24 Jun 05

You don't have to format the drive... You can re-install Windows over itself (even in DOS mode)

Just press enter (i think it is) instead of pressing "d", "l", "Enter", "Enter" to install and format...

I would wait until another member verifies this as I can't remember how to do it off the top of my head.

rawprawn 14:05 24 Jun 05

click here Scroll through to what you want, it is a very good explicit site. Print out the one you want and follow instructions.

Veitcy 14:05 24 Jun 05

I would do what you say but I have blank screen no dos nothing only when I go into d drive with xp disk but no options are given only partition or format?

Terry Brown 14:36 24 Jun 05

I don't know if this will help,but try making an XP Boot disk. You will need the following files.--ntldr.com---ntdetect.com---boot.ini. Copy them to a floppy disk. Set your machine to boot from floppy and re-start. This will bypass your personal start up and may re-start the maching.Alternatly insert the XP disk and run the install, when you get to the blue screen (terms and conditions--F8 to continure) press F8 the escape to get more options, select R (repair) and re-install XP. Good Luck

Terry Brown 15:23 24 Jun 05

There is another option if you cannot access your CD to re-boot.. Go to click here and download the XP version your require ---e.g. xp home , pro , standard , sp1 , sp2-- open up the files and create floppy diskd (Normally 6). Set the machine to boot from floopy , insert the CD in the drive and floppy 1 in the 3.5" slot.re-start the machine. when you get to the terms and conditions (F8) press F8 then ESC. Carefully read the on screen instructions and select R for repair. select the same dir on you system and the System will re-start, delketeing the current operating system and re-loading the new (from the CD). This should not affect any non-windows programs, however as with all major installations there is no guarantee.

Veitcy 17:19 29 Jun 05

Despite trying all suggestions and even downloading 6 floppy's from Microsoft as boot disks I get the same " Either hard drive is corrupted or there are missing files reformat the partition or c:"
It would seem I need to take to repairer or try reformatting.

Despite trying all suggestions and even downloading 6 floppy's from Microsoft as boot disks I get the same " Either hard drive is corrupted or there are missing files reformat the partition or c:"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…